How do I become a member of Faith?
There are five steps to membership:
1. Believe in Jesus Christ – We ask each person desiring to be a member of Faith to answer a few basic questions about salvation and to write a brief testimony of how they came to believe in Jesus.
Many choose to be ‘regular attenders’ rather than members because they have not decided what they believe about Jesus or because they haven’t taken the step to commit to the local church Body. We welcome people who are still in the process of making any of these decisions, but strongly urge believers in Jesus wishing to be a part of Faith to take ownership and become members.
2. Be baptized as a believer – As Baptists, we firmly believe that baptism is a symbolic act of obedience. It is a beautiful picture of the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus. We require that you have been baptized by immersion (under the water) since the time you first believed in Christ.
We celebrate baptism each month. Parents of children wishing to baptized will schedule an orientation meeting with a children’s ministry team member to discuss any timing factors and other pertinent details.
3. Complete the membership class – We offer a one-time membership class taught by our pastors where you will learn about Faith, about what we expect of you as a member, and about what you can expect from us as your church. The class is held on the first Sunday of each month from 9:30am-12:15pm in room 2129.
4. Complete a membership meeting – After completing the membership class, you will provide some basic information, review the membership book, and prayerfully consider becoming a member at Faith. Once you have decided to join the church, we will schedule a short membership meeting for you with one of the pastors. During the meeting, he will review your testimony of belief in Jesus, sign the membership covenant, and answer any final questions you may have.
5. Be presented to the congregation – Once the other steps have been completed, we will present you to the congregation through a celebratory commitment presentation at the end of the Sunday Morning Worship Service you attend. The congregation will affirm their commitment to you and then will welcome you to the church.
Membership Presentation Sundays occur generally once a month.
Can I participate in the membership class without the intent or certainty of becoming a member?
Absolutely! Learn about Faith and ask questions. We’d love to see you! Click HERE to sign up for our next class.
Why is becoming a member this involved?
We hope that you will prayerfully and seriously consider your decision to become a member of Faith Baptist Church. In turn, we commit to treating the membership process with that same seriousness. We believe it is vital to have members who both understand and believe in the vision of our church so we can continue to move forward united reaching people with the Good News of Jesus!
Why Membership Matters
Have you ever heard of churches or maybe even been to one in which the church seemed all about their programs and not so much about the people? It is our desire to never be one of those churches. Yes, we have programs. Yes, we offer things for all ages. But the bottom line is that Jesus is about people and so we are, too. We are about people meeting Jesus, people getting invested in a local church, and people serving other people. At Faith, we have elders and pastors that oversee the ministry done through the church. Notice we aren’t saying that we have elders and pastors that do all of the ministry! This would not only be impossible, but it would also contradict the Bible. Ephesians 4:11-12 says, “He gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of the ministry, for the building up of the body of Christ.” Our members are those who have chosen to invest in what God is doing through Faith. We take membership seriously, as you will see by the requirements for membership and the high expectations we place on our members. The reason we do so is because we need our members like a body needs all its parts! According to 1 Corinthians 12:7, each follower of Jesus is given spiritual gifts to be used for “the common good.” God has given each member here at Faith different gifts and talents to be used in the building up of the church and the carrying out of the mission. Without our members, we cannot carry out the mission Jesus has given us.
There is an old saying that “people never wash rented cars.” The truth is that some people never move beyond simply renting a church. They use all the resources that the church makes available to them, but they never care much about its health or reputation because they have never really become invested. It is true that we expect much of our members and there is little chance of a member being here long before they are asked to get involved somewhere. Yet, investment comes with the knowledge that you belong to something greater than yourself and are truly making a difference in the lives of others here in our community and around the world. Also, most who invest that way would say that they are the ones who receive the greater blessing than even the ones they seek to serve and to bless. Jesus cares deeply for His followers. He cares so much that, according to Acts 20:28, He gave up His very life. As members of Faith, we profess to be followers of Jesus. Ultimately, this is the most important reason membership matters. Consider becoming a member here at Faith. We invite you to invest in the work God has been doing and will continue to do. It will change your life!